WITI Women | Carol Thompson
Co-founder of HireTECH
HireTECH co-founder Carol Thompson has more than 25 years of experience as an entrepreneur. Since arriving in Austin in 1979, she has consistently served as a top leader of Austin's business and charitable communities. Aside from her many successful business ventures, Thompson has willingly chosen to devote time to helping others, playing a diverse range of roles-from business advisor and women's advocate to mentor and volunteer.
Thompson is perhaps best known as the founder and president of The
Thompson Group, Austin's leading network consulting and business marketing firm. Over its five year history, The Thompson Group has been responsible for generating millions of dollars in new business for its impressive corporate client list. Moreover, The Thompson Group has acted as a catalyst for building business relationships, driving companies to sponsor events, support causes and work together with others in Austin and in national technology hubs such as Silicon Valley, Boston, Atlanta and Washington, DC, as well as abroad.
A true women's advocate, Thompson helped found and guide Austin's Young
Women's Alliance, a mentoring organization whose membership has gone from 20 to more than 250 in less than three years. Also, Thompson has been a key contributor to WITI's growth and a frequent speakers at WITI events.
Thompson has been recognized in the regional and national media as a "person to watch," "one of Austin's five most powerful women," and "ground control in schmooze city." She has been cited in media outlets from CMP's TechWeb to Texas Business and the Austin American-Statesman.
Carol Thompson answers these questions:
1. What was your first job in technology?
2. Who has been your most significant mentor? Why?
3. What has been your greatest challenge and what strategies
did you use to overcome obstacles?
4. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
5. What lessons have you learned that would be valuable to
women beginning their careers in technology?
6. What strategies do you use to maintain balance in your
7. What new technology do you believe will have the most positive
impact on the world in the next 20 years? The most negative impact?
On the lighter side:
1. If you could have dinner with any 2 people (living or not),
who would they be?
2. Define success in 10 words or less.
3. If you could only subscribe to 3 magazines, what would
4. What was the last book you read?
Click here for printer-friendly version of this article.
If you wish to be featured in WITI Women or know of someone who you want to recommend for this segment, please email David Leighton at email@example.com.