1. What was your first job in technology?
I entered the technology industry as the owner ABC Computer and Telephones in Austin in the early 80s. Later I had a Computercraft store and went on to become president of Computerland, an Austin franchise. I was one of 11 women in the U.S. to own a retail store in the early 1980s. Why a computer store? I previously had a collectibles auction business where all inventory was kept on 3x5 cards - ancient history!
2. Who has been your most significant mentor? Why?
I have had and still have many mentors (both younger and older than I), ranging in age from 22 to 86. However, my best mentor was my Dad who said in the 1940s "girls can do anything," and I have!
3. What has been your greatest challenge and what strategies did you use to overcome
I have encountered many challenges in my life, from business setbacks to divorce. My strategies were simple:
* hard work
* keep faith
* don't lose your sense of humor
* look for what's next on the horizon and go for it with passion
* always mentor others on the way.