WITI Women | Susan Parks
VP & General Manager, Business & Government Solutions/Retail Markets
Susan Parks became vice president and general manager of Public Services/Retail Markets
for US West in April 1998. She joined the company in October 1995 as vice president
for voice products and markets for US West Communications, holding ultimate responsibility
for a $5 billion revenue stream in consumer and business products. In February 1997
she took the post of vice president for consumer retail, heading up a $3.8 billion
a year business with 4,700 employees.
Parks came to US West after three and a half years with Zellerbach and Mead. During
her tenure as vice president of that company's Southwest business printing operation,
unit revenues grew from $140 million to $180 million per annum.
Susan Parks will be a speaker on the Personal Stories of Successful Women panel at the East Coast Technology Summit.
Susan Parks answers these questions:
1. What was your first job in technology?
2. Who has been your most significant mentor? Why?
3. What has been your greatest challenge and what strategies
did you use to overcome obstacles?
4. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
5. What lessons have you learned that would be valuable to
women beginning their careers in technology?
6. What strategies do you use to maintain balance in your
7. What new technology do you believe will have the most positive
impact on the world in the next 20 years? The most negative impact?
On the lighter side:
1. If you could have dinner with any 2 people (living or not),
who would they be?
2. Define success in 10 words or less.
3. If you could only subscribe to 3 magazines, what would
Click here for printer-friendly version of this article.
If you wish to be featured in WITI Women or know of someone who you want to recommend for this segment, please email David Leighton at [email protected].