Vice President, Community
Vanessa DiMauro has been a virtual community builder for more than ten years. Working for pioneering organizations such at TERC and Cambridge Technology Partners, Vanessa has helped shape the role virtual communities play on the Web.
DiMauro was director of online communities for Cambridge Information Network (CIN - www.cin.ctp.com) the largest virtual community of IT executives worldwide. Prior to joining Cambridge Technology Partners, DiMauro built a number of online communities for both the public and private sector including educational communities for teachers and students. She frequently gives talks on the reality of building and sustaining online communities, serves as a community judge for the Global Information Infrastructure awards, and has authored numerous academic research and general articles on community building.
DiMauro has recently joined a business to business startup code-named Project Truffle. There she will be responsible for building new sets of business to business communities linking producers of artisanal products together.
Vanessa DiMauro answers these questions:
1. What was your first job in technology?
2. Who has been your most significant mentor? Why?
3. What has been your greatest challenge and what strategies
did you use to overcome obstacles?
4. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
5. What lessons have you learned that would be valuable to
women beginning their careers in technology?
6. What new technology do you believe will have the most positive
impact on the world in the next 20 years? The most negative impact?
On the lighter side:
1. If you could have dinner with any 2 people (living or not),
who would they be?
2. What was the last book you read? What books do you love to recommend?
3. If you were to choose a different profession, what would it be?
4. What is your definition of success?