WITI Women | Beth VanStory
Beth VanStory joined iMotors from Office Depot, where she was vice president in charge of
OfficeDepot.com, which she launched and led to an award-winning successful
e-commerce site. Before Office Depot, VanStory led Weather.com for The Weather
Channel, where she was vice president and general manager of New Media. Before
the Internet blossomed, she was working in the early (too early!) interactive television
industry at Bell Atlantic's Tele-TV venture, and was also at MCI Communications. VanStory
received a masters of management degree from Northwestern University, and holds a
B.S. in commerce from the University of Virginia.
Beth VanStory answers these questions:
1. What was your first job in technology?
2. Who has been your most significant mentor? Why?
3. What has been your greatest challenge and what strategies
did you use to overcome obstacles?
4. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
5. What lessons have you learned that would be valuable to
women beginning their careers in technology?
6. What new technology do you believe will have the most positive
impact on the world in the next 20 years? The most negative impact?
On the lighter side:
1. If you could have dinner with any 2 people (living or not),
who would they be?
2. What was the last book you read? What books do you love to recommend?
3. If you couldn't do what you are doing now, what profession would you choose?
4. What is your definition of success?
Click here for printer-friendly version of this article.
If you wish to be featured in WITI Women or know of someone who you want to recommend for this segment, please email David Leighton at [email protected].